Hitay?s geothermal project opposed by villagers
Monday, September 11 2017 - 01:19 AM WIB
The paper quoted Solok Regent, Gusmal as saying that the regency administration would help Hitay in better promoting the project to the local villagers. He said that the problem was miscommunication between the company and the villagers that have led to worries about the negative impacts of the project.
?It?s a mere miscommunication. The public doesn?t understand that geothermal drilling is different than other mining activities. It is because of lack of promotion which has made the public to worry about the impact on the environment,? he said, adding that the local government will intensify communications with the local villagers to explain about the positive impact of the project to the local economy.
Hitay was appointed by the government last year to develop the 27,000-ha Gunung Talang-Bukit Killi geothermal work area, located in Solok Regency, which has estimated reserves of 65 MW, according to the Geology Agency. The government assigns Hitay to develop a 20 MW power plant, which is targeted to start operation in 2022.
Hitay said earlier it aimed to sign this year power purchase agreement (PPA) with state-owned electricity firm PT PLN for the PLTP project this year. ?We?re rushing to complete the PPA, if possible this year. In the first quarter of 2018, we plan to start drilling of the first geothermal well, out of the target to drill four wells in the area,? said Managing Director of Hitay, Julfi Hadi to Petromindo.com early in August. (*)
