The largest Sumatra Coal conference is back
Petromindo and CoalMetalAsia Magazine are pleased to announce the 2023 Sumatra Coal Outlook Conference that will be held on 15 March 2023 in Jakarta.
The conference will bring together speakers from the entire coal value chain to deliberate on pressing issues on how to unlock coal potential in Sumatra as coal mining companies are now ready to ramp up coal output but they are facing coal logistic challenges.
Currently, resources allocation for coal production in Indonesia is still imbalanced with most of the coal output comes from Kalimantan and the rest comes from Sumatera, particularly South Sumatera.
On the contrary, coal potential in Sumatra is more than the coal in Kalimantan.
Coal logistic issues from South Sumatra to Aceh had long hindered the coal producers from ramping up production volume.
Yet, there have been some initiatives from coal logistic providers to unlock the huge coal potential in Sumatra by providing more coal transportation capacity through hauling road, coal railway or riverway.
Sumatra coal is dominantly lignite, low calorific value (CV), high moisture and sulfur content making the acceptability of coal from Sumatra to domestic and global market still limited.
However, with the expected surge in demand of coal both from domestic and overseas, the markets for Sumatra coal are increasingly promising.
The conference would also sightsee the investment opportunities in the coal-related sector in Sumatra and also explore initiatives of mining companies in Sumatra to participate in meeting the country’s zero emission target.
A few key highlights:
What is the government policy to unlock coal potential in Sumatra?
- Exploring the coal transportation facilities in South Sumatra, Jambi, Aceh and Bengkulu and the expansion plans that would be executed in 2023?
- Exploring investment opportunities in the coal industry in Sumatra?
- Key government policy and appetite for investment opportunities in the coal downstream industry.
- Understand coal price dynamic on short, medium and long terms in next year
Who should attend the conference?
- Mining company executives
- Coal Producers
- Coal Buyers
- Mining Consultants
- Mining Lawyers
- Commodities Analysts & Traders
- Investment Analysts
- Investment Bankers
- Private Investors
|| Registration and welcome refreshments
||Chair's opening remarks
||Opening Keynote address:
Government Policy to develop Sumatra Coal
- Overview of the current coal resources & infrastructure in Sumatra.
- Investment opportunities in coal sector
- The progress of coal downstream industry
Beyond coal – how PTBA transforms into energy company and challenges and opportunities of coal industry in energy transition
Understanding how the carbon trading system is intended to operate in Indonesia and what it means for the coal mining sector?
||How RMK Energy provides efficient and effective coal service solutions to a lot of logistical challenges that coal miners are facing.
||Panel Discussion: What is the coal future in Sumatra?
- Update development of coal mining projects in Sumatera
- Key challenges to accelerate unlocking Sumatera coal
- What is the infrastructure development in South Sumatera?
- What does the current high coal price mean for mining development in Sumatra?
- What are the challenges of the coal industry sector in energy transition.
||Potential of foreign investment in the coal downstream industry – What are challenges and opportunities.
|| Panel Discussion: Investment opportunities in the coal sector in Sumatra.
- What is the current appetite for investment in the coal sector?
- What are investment opportunities in hauling, river and railway to transport coal?
- What is the potential supply of mining and infrastructure equipment, including zero-emission equipment and autonomous heavy equipment.
- Prospect of coal transportation for ship owners and charterers in Sumatra?
- Prospect of digital transformation in coal mining
|| Lunch and networking break
|| Panel Discussion: Overview of Indonesia coal outlook – Roles of low rank coal from Sumatra in domestic and overseas markets.
- Exploring coal price trends and coal markets this year.
- Roles of Sumatra coal in ASEAN coal markets
- Potential coal supply from Sumatra to domestic markets – what are challenges and opportunities?
- Coal trading prospect from Sumatra
||Unlocking coal potential in Bengkulu.
Development plans of Pulau Bali Port to support coal mining development in Bengkulu.
||Unlocking coal potential in Riau
- Overview of coal resources potential in Riau
- Opportunities and challenges in coal mining development in Riau
- How is the ongoing infrastructure project accelerating the unlocking of coal potential in Riau?
||PT Kereta Api (KAI)’s grand policy on coal rail transportation in Sumatra – What is the Outlook in 2023?
||Mining Exploration Outlook in Sumatra
- What is the impact on the current rising of coal price to the exploration of coal potential in Sumatra?
- What are the main drivers to speed up exploration activities on coal?
||The future of coal-fired power plants (PLTU) in the energy transition program.
||End of conference