Central govt officially decides not to buy seven percent stake in NNT
Thursday, September 27 2007 - 01:34 AM WIB
The central government has decided not to buy a seven percent stake in copper and gold miner Newmont Nusa Tenggara (NNT) due to the lack of funds.
The seven percent divestment, valued at US$282 million, is scheduled to be held this year.
Director General of Mineral, Coal and Geothermal Affairs of the Energy and Mineral Resources Ministry Simon Felix Sembiring said in
As a consequence of the government’s decision, Simon said, the central government hands over the right to buy the stake to the local government. “The local government has expressed its interest in buying the stake and so we have told NNT to follow it up in compliance with the existing law and prevailing contract,” he said.
Aside from the seven percent stake offered this year, NNT offered a three percent stake last year in line with its contract which requires it to divest up to 51 percent of its shares to either the central government, local governments, state owned enterprises or Indonesian-controlled companies.
According to Simon, the three percent stake will be bought by the regency administration of West Sumbawa, while the seven percent stake will be bought by the Nusa Tenggara Barat (NTB) provincial admnistration along with the
Currently, six investors are competing to provide US$109 million in funds for
Meanwhile, NTB and
Current NNT’s shareholders are Newmont Mining Corp (45 percent), local company PT Pukuafu Indah (PI) which controls 20 percent and a consortium led by ’s Sumitomo (35 percent). (godang)
