Eight gold prospectors killed in Papua attack
Thursday, May 21 2026 - 03:15 PM WIB
Eight civilians working as gold prospectors were killed in Yahukimo Regency, Papua Highlands, in an attack that the Indonesian Military blamed on the armed wing of the Free Papua Movement (OPM).
Military spokesperson Wirya Arthadiguna said the attack took place on Tuesday in the Korowai area and was allegedly carried out by the Yahukimo faction led by Kopitua Heluka and Dejang Heluka.
“The victims were not security personnel as alleged by the OPM, but civilians carrying out gold prospecting activities,” Wirya said.
According to the military, the separatist group accused the victims of acting as informants for security forces.
Read also: Rebels kill 11 illegal miners in Papua
The military said additional troops and helicopter support have been deployed to pursue the perpetrators and assist with evacuating the victims’ bodies from the remote area.
Separately, Kompas reported that Kopitua Heluka released a video claiming responsibility for the attack, alleging the victims were Indonesian military and police intelligence personnel disguised as illegal gold miners.
He said the attack was retaliation for the deaths of two OPM members killed by Indonesian security forces last week.
The conflict in Papua has continued for decades, with separatist groups seeking independence for the resource-rich easternmost region of Indonesia. Violence involving armed groups and Indonesian security forces periodically escalates in remote mountainous areas.
Editing by Alexander Ginting
