Newmont?s Indonesian copper, gold output to fall: Official

Wednesday, October 14 2009 - 06:43 AM WIB

Output at Newmont Mining Corp's Indonesia copper and gold mine may fall by 1.5-2 percent annually for the next five years after problems at its mine, a senior government mining official said on Wednesday.

"Newmont Nusa Tenggara (NNT) production may fall by 1.5-2 percent annually over the next five years because of the incident," Director General of Mineral, Coal and Geothermal Bambang Setiawan said.

Newmont said in September that there had been a "geotechnical failure" in the west wall of its open-pit Batu Hijau mine on Sumbawa island.

"NNT has submitted a report. They may have to make new designs and submit a new environmental study," Bambang Setiawan, director general of mining, coal and geothermal at the mining and energy ministry told reporters.

NNT will continue to process ore from stockpiles at the Batu Hijau mine, he said.

The mine had been expected to produce 500 million pounds of copper concentrate and 525,000 ounces of gold this year. (*)

Share this story

Tags:

Related News & Products