S Kalimantan to launch sweeping operation against illegal mining
Tuesday, October 24 2000 - 04:00 AM WIB
A special team established recently by the South Kalimantan administration will launch a sweeping operation next month against illegal coal mining operation in the province, Banjarmasin Pos reported on Tuesday.
Armain Djanika, the chief of the team, said in Banjarmasin on Monday all coal mining operation in the province would be closed down if they could not produce permits to the sweeping team which would begin their operation in November 6.
He said the local government has given them until the end of this month to obtain proper permits to back up the operation. "But if they are still unable to show their permits, the companies involved in such activities will shut down," he added.
Armain said previously the local government had faced difficulties to take actions against the illegal mining operations because most of them received protection from the local security officials.
But according to him, the special team would give any exception and will detain all parties that were involved in the illegal mining operations, which had grew very quickly in the past several years.
The illegal coal mining did not only cause major damages to the ecosystem and environment but also caused financial loss to the local government. At least 22 tons of coal have been produced from illegal mining activities. None of the illegal miners paid taxes or official levies to the local government.
Recently, a special team from Jakarta seized executives of five coal mining companies for allegedly being involved in illegal coal mining activities, The companies are PT Satu Baru Utama, PT Jayanti Group, PT Texindo, PT Dharma Kencan and PT Handayan Nusaka Mitra.(*)
